What to Do When You Are in an Accident with a Truck

Wednesday, October 07, 2020

When it comes to automobile-truck accidents, the automobile almost always comes out on the losing end. This is simply because the average car weighs 4,000 pounds while the average semi-truck weighs 80,000 pounds. It is obviously best to try to avoid any kind of accident, but if you happen to tangle with an 18 wheeler, then here are a few tips about what to do.

Contact the Police

Make sure you call the police from the collision scene. The police will document the accident, issue tickets if necessary and produce a police report. This report is useful in that it contains the trucker's contact information, witness contact information and an official summary about what caused the accident. You will need this police report when you file a claim with your insurance company.

Take Pictures

Use your phone to document the scene.  Take pictures or a video of the truck, the damage to your vehicle, any skid marks, the road conditions or anything else that you think will help prove that the truck driver caused the accident.

Get Contact Information

Although the police report should contain the contact information of the truck driver and the witnesses, you should also get that information, just to be safe. This information includes not only the truck driver's name and phone number but also his employer's name and the name of his employer's insurance company.

Seek Medical Care

If you are injured, then you should seek immediate medical care.  he police may call an ambulance if they feel your injuries warrant it. Even if you do not suffer visible injuries, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Doing so documents your concern about being injured in the accident. Make sure you keep records of all medical visits.

Notify Your Insurance Company

Contact your insurance company about the accident. Even if you do not plan to file a claim, notifying your insurer preserves your right to file a claim at a later date.  For example, if you have collision coverage, then you might get your car repaired sooner by filing a claim than by waiting on the trucker's insurance company.

Contact an Accident Attorney

The trucker's insurance company will want to settle with you, probably for much less than you deserve. An experienced Los Angeles car accident attorney can help you negotiate a larger settlement and ensure that all of your rights are protected.  

If you have been injured in a truck accident, then please contact us. Our team is standing by to help you get the compensation you deserve.


Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyers


David Lederer and John Nojima used to defend the insurance companies. Now they are on your side.

At Lederer & Nojima LLP, in Los Angeles, California, we pride ourselves on providing our clients with the highest quality legal services and advice. We recognize that our success is based upon our client's success — so we are absolutely committed to obtaining the results our clients want and need.

CALL TODAY: 310-312-1860


12100 Wilshire Boulevard

Suite 480
Los Angeles, 90025
Phone: (310) 312-1860

Get Map | Driving Directions


555 W. 5th Street
31st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Phone:(310) 312-1860

Get Map | Driving Directions

Lederer & Nojima proudly serve Los Angeles, West LA, San Fernando Valley, Santa Monica, Downtown Los Angeles, Brentwood, South Bay, Long Beach, Riverside, Encino, Sherman Oaks, and more locations throughout Southern California.