A slip and fall accident can cause minor injuries such as bruises, scrapes, and broken bones. A fall can also cause brain damage. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that one in every five falls can lead to an injury that results in traumatic brain injury. For this reason, you should take a fall seriously and sue the responsible person for premises liability. Here is a look at what qualifies as premises liability and the steps you should take if you are involved in a fall.
What Is Premises Liability?
A slip and fall accident or any other accident caused by precarious conditions on a person’s property is classified as premises liability. For you to hold a property owner accountable for injuries sustained by your slip and fall accident, you need to prove the following:
- The property owner was aware of the dangerous condition but did not take any action to address it.
- They failed to take the steps a reasonable person would have taken to prevent injuries.
- The property owner created the conditions that caused the accident.
Steps to Follow After a Slip and Fall Accident
Immediately after a slip and fall accident, you need to take the following steps:
- Make a report: Report the incident to the property manager. Make sure you stay calm and limit your conversation with the property manager to avoid self-incrimination.
- Document the scene: Take photos of the scene of the accident. This will serve as evidence.
- Get the witnesses’ contacts: If there are any witnesses to your fall, take their names, and contact information. Indeed, witness statements will help strengthen your case against the property owner.
- Seek medical attention: You should contact a doctor to assess the extent of your injuries and make a medical report after a slip and fall accident.
- Contact an attorney: You need to call an attorney to advise you on the best course of action. Your lawyer will investigate the incident, preserve evidence, and negotiate on your behalf. Then, if the case goes to trial, your lawyer will ensure you get a fair judgment.
Learn More About a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are involved in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to contact Lederer & Nojima LLP. This law firm has years of experience in personal injury law and offers its services to Los Angeles residents and the greater Los Angeles area.